[cairo] Paginating a png image.

Richard Shann richard.shann at virgin.net
Thu Nov 26 10:59:53 PST 2009

I am trying to print a .png image which is created by an external
application as several pages abutted vertically. (That is the width is
the width of A4 paper, the height is number_pages * the height of A4).

I am using the GtkPrintOperation, and can get the first page, but the
subsequent pages are (largely) blank.

In the callback for the begin-print I set up the cairo surface
and compute the number of pages from by scaling by 842/595 which is A4
aspect ratio.

  the_surface = cairo_image_surface_create_from_png (image.png);
  int src_width = cairo_image_surface_get_width(the_surface);
  int src_height = cairo_image_surface_get_height(the_surface);

  int width = 595;
  int height = 842;
  int page_height =  height*((double)src_width)/width;
  int num_pages = src_height/page_height;
  gtk_print_operation_set_n_pages (operation, num_pages);

Then with the draw-page callback I try to take each chunk of the image,
and this is where I guess I make some mistake:

    cairo_t * cr = gtk_print_context_get_cairo_context (context);
    cairo_set_source_surface (cr, the_surface, 0.0, 0.0);
    cairo_rectangle (cr, 0.0, (double)page_height*page_nr,
(double)width, (double)page_height);
    cairo_fill (cr);

That is, I move the y-coordinate of the cairo_rectangle on by one
page_height at each call expecting this to take a new page from the
image surface. However only the value page_nr=0 behaves as expected, the
second page has just a tiny strip from the bottom of the first page,
printed at the bottom, and the rest of the pages are blank.

Any help would be appreciated

Richard Shann