[cairo] cross-compiling on Linux for Windows

Kozhevnikov Mikhail mikhailkozhevnikov at yandex.ru
Fri Oct 9 08:03:00 PDT 2009

Hi suzuki,

I've just tried cross-compiling windows binaries on Ubuntu with the script attached. It has built something, but libtool has given me some warnings:

*** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive /home/qnan/Desktop/test/out/libpng/lib/libpng12.la.
*** you link to this library. But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
libtool: link: rm -fr .libs/libcairo.a .libs/libcairo.la .libs/libcairo.lai

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lgdi32.
*** you link to this library. But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with libgdi32 and none of the candidates passed a file format test
*** using a file magic. Last file checked: /usr/lib/gcc/i586-mingw32msvc/4.2.1-sjlj/../../../../i586-mingw32msvc/lib//libgdi32.a

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lmsimg32.
*** you link to this library. But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with libmsimg32 and none of the candidates passed a file format test
*** using a file magic. Last file checked: /usr/lib/gcc/i586-mingw32msvc/4.2.1-sjlj/../../../../i586-mingw32msvc/lib//libmsimg32.a

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lz.
*** you link to this library. But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with libz and none of the candidates passed a file format test
*** using a file magic. Last file checked: /home/qnan/Desktop/test/out/zlib/lib/libz.a
*** The inter-library dependencies that have been dropped here will be
*** automatically added whenever a program is linked with this library
*** or is declared to -dlopen it.

*** Since this library must not contain undefined symbols,
*** because either the platform does not support them or
*** it was explicitly requested with -no-undefined,
*** libtool will only create a static version of it.

I have no idea why could libtool not accept these libraries. It's clear that it does check the files built, though. I'll try further.

There's also a trouble with pkg-config finding some libraries for which I only have Linux binaries installed. That is why all these --enable-xxx=no options in cairo configure.

Best regards,
Mikhail.