[cairo] Windows font rendering issue

cu cairouser at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 13 10:07:25 PDT 2009

Good day all!

I seem to recall the issue discussed previously, but can't find what it
was or whether there was a resolution.

The Cairo version is 1.8.6 (which we'd like to keep, if possible, since
it seems to perform a better for us). Essentially, when rendering text
using Windows font backend and image surface, text sometimes gets cut
off - usually on the bottom or right by what appears to be a line
exactly one pixel wide. It would almost seem like there is a clip mask
around it and it is a bit too small for the output. Examples would be
trivial - simply create image surface, select a font ("arial") for
example, and keep changing font and surface size, then repainting.

As a side issue, windows font sizes seem to adjust much less gracefully
than those on Mac/Linux (essentially in jumps, and also occasionally
font appearance seems to change as size is increased/decreased by 1 unit).

Same code does not exhibit this behavior on Mac/Linux using FreeType
font backend.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.