[cairo] windows fonts bug

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Thu Oct 15 02:54:08 PDT 2009

> can FreeType fonts be used under Windows? What would I have to
> do to use them in Cairo?

I don't know what you mean with "FreeType fonts", FreeType is a
library that can use fonts in a lot of different formats, so
practically *any* font you come across these days is a "FreeType font"
(including those provided with, and 3rd-party ones commonly used on,
Windows).

But I am just nitpicking, I guess what you are asking is whether cairo
can be built on Windows to include the FreeType font backend, and the
answer is yes, sure. Of course you will then need a build of FreeType
and fontconfig, too, to build cairo against.

(The builds of cairo I provide for use in the GTK+ stack on Windows
nowadays do include the FreeType font backend, this is a recent change
in my policy. See
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/dependencies . The
latest cairo, fontconfig, freetype, libpng and zlib packages there
should form a consistent stack. But I don't claim these builds would
have any "official" status, feel free to ignore them.)

--tml