[cairo] Pixman glyph performance, and beyond!

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Thu Oct 22 14:13:40 PDT 2009

So I'm reviewing how cairo handles compositing, looking at how we may
drive cairo-gl more efficiently. As part of that process, I've had the
opportunity to remove some overhead from within cairo-image. However,
glyph composition still suffers from substantial overhead since every
glyph is composited separately.

firefox-talos-gfx on a slow Celeron 600MHz:
# Overhead  Symbol
# ........  ......
    23.76%  [.] _pixman_run_fast_path
    23.34%  [.] sse2_composite_add_n_8888_8888_ca
    11.82%  [.] sse2_composite_over_n_8888_8888_ca
     6.31%  [.] pixman_image_composite
     4.69%  [.] walk_region_internal
     4.44%  [.] pixman_blt_sse2
     3.18%  [.] _pixman_image_validate
     2.30%  [.] sse2_composite_over_n_8_8888
     2.23%  [.] pixman_compute_composite_region32
     2.19%  [.] pixman_fill_sse2
     1.91%  [.] sse2_composite

(And to put it in perspective:
    46.35%  /usr/local/lib/libpixman-1.so.0.17.1
    28.25%  /home/ickle/src/cairo/src/.libs/libcairo.so.2.10905.0
    14.24%  [kernel])

Søren has looked at this problem in the past and begun work on
fast-path and faster-fast-path branches, looking to cache prior
fast-path resolutions. These are not yet as effective as one would hope.

How insane would it be to push the get_fast_path() to the user and to be
able to pass in the implementation + composite function instead of
performing the search every time? This would also be useful for spans.
And considering how most cairo operations are first performed to a mask,
cairo could very effectively cache the fast path for its most frequent
operations.

I'm particular interested in suggestions and experiences from the
ARM/NEON guys as they seem to be suffering acutely from similar overheads
in pixman - and so I presume are also looking at this issue.
-ickle