[cairo] cairomm hardware acceleration

Noah Ready-Campbell noah.readcamp at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 21:01:13 PDT 2010

Hi,

I am using Cairomm in an implementation of the Mona Lisa GA/hill-climbing
challenge discussed by Roger Alsing (
http://rogeralsing.com/2008/12/07/genetic-programming-evolution-of-mona-lisa/).
Cairomm has been working very well, but I don't think it is using any
hardware acceleration.  I checked this by looking at my GPU clock (I have
adaptive clocking enabled).  It does not change when I run the Mona Lisa
program (it stays at the lowest setting).  It does change when I switch
between windows and such, though.

I believe that Gentoo automatically includes the XRender extension into its
X server ebuild, so I'm pretty sure I have that.  Do you have any idea how
to get Cairomm to use hardware acceleration?  Or, failing that, how to tell
if any Cairo applications do, and if Cairo and XRender are integrating
properly?

My system:
Gentoo Linux, Xfce Window Manager, Nvidia GeForce 9600

Thank you very much,
Noah