[cairo] cairo/gdk + clipping

Benjamin Otte otte at redhat.com
Wed Aug 18 06:49:54 PDT 2010

A Gtk widget's expose event always prompts you to repaint all of the
region provided completely. You cannot assume anything about what you
previously rendered.

So if you render everything with Cairo, what you usually want to for
creating your Cairo context is run code like this:

cr = gdk_cairo_create (event->window);
gdk_cairo_region (cr, event->region);
cairo_clip (cr);

Then you end up with a region that is properly clipped to the area that
actually needs to be repainted. But of course, you will still need to
paint everything in that given region.
Cairo will however be smart enough to ignore rectangles that are outside
of that region automatically, because they are clipped.

If that still doesn't turn out to be fast enough, you could maintain a
backing surface that you update and then just cairo_paint() to the
screen in the expose event. But I would be surprised if a few rectangles
caused any trouble.

Benjamin