[cairo] The right approach to projective transformations

Jerónimo Barraco jerobarraco at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Aug 30 15:40:10 PDT 2010

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 18:47:20 -0300, M Joonas Pihlaja
<jpihlaja at cc.helsinki.fi> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>
>> I think if we are doing this projective thing, we should finally switch
>> to an
>> opaque transformation struct.  This allows for the transformation to be
>> intelligently caching.  Cache the inverse, cache the determinant, cache
>> whether it's an integer translation only, etc.
>
> I think we can do this without making the existing transform API
> obsolete.  Factor the complete mapping into two parts: a 2d affine map
> followed by a more powerful projective map, and the existing transform
> calls only work on the 2d affine part.  Existing client rendering
> routines can then pretend they're drawing onto a normal plane as
> before, even if that plane is twisted about later by a projective
> part.
>
> Joonas
> --

that's cool, is the only thing my software is laking so far (from the
cairo part)
im also trying to follow this thread as i'm intrested in it, though i
still cant understand how to apply a 3d transformation using cairo
(actual) tools (aka, without changing cairo code)