[cairo] EPS Font Issues

Jeff Aigner jaigner at setnine.com
Tue Aug 31 12:31:47 PDT 2010

Hello all,

I'm trying to create a python library that outputs EPS files via the
cairo and pango bindings. When rendering PNG's, the fonts show up as
they should. However when I try to output to EPS, I get the following
message when opening the file up in Illustrator:

f-0-0-Identity-H:
Font not found on the system; missing font has been substituted

I've looked all over for what exactly this means. The fonts I've been
trying are on both the computer used to generate the EPS, and the
computer opening the EPS file. In fact, in the case of TTF files,
Illustrator will find the font and "replace" it -- however this doesn't
seem to be happening with OTF files.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff Aigner