[cairo] No fonts control on Cairo in batch mode

Christian Kamenik christian.kamenik at giub.unibe.ch
Thu Dec 16 04:24:52 PST 2010

Dear all,

I am using Cairo version 1.4-5 for plotting graphs from within R on a
Gentoo system that does not have X11 installed. I have full control on
the fonts when running R in interactive mode. But when running R in
batch mode I cannot change e.g. font size. Letters (including symbols)
are, however, drawn.

I am exporting the following environmental variables when running R in
batch mode to point to pkgconfig, which (like Cairo) I installed in a
non-standard local.

export PATH="$HOME/software/bin:$PATH"
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$HOME/software/lib/pkgconfig
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/software/lib
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Any help would be highly appreciated, Christian