[cairo] Postscript and odd paper sizes...

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Tue Feb 9 10:35:41 PST 2010

Some applications do not correctly recognize the page size in cairo-
generated postscript when the page is something other than 8.5"x11";
in particular, the "ps2pdf" utility, and MacOSX's "preview". This is
true regardless of whether the size is specified via the call to
cairo_ps_surface_create(), or a subsequent call to
cairo_ps_surface_set_size().

Inspecting the postscript output reveals that the DSC comment "%
%BoundingBox" is properly set to reflect the page size.  However, a
colleague tells me that the correct way to specify this is via:

%%BeginSetup
<</PageSize [widthPts heightPts]>> setpagedevice
%%EndSetup

Indeed, when I manually add this to the cairo-output, the
aforementioned apps seem to work as expected. Section 6.2 of the
postscript 3 manual seems to indicate this is the correct way to
specify page size (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/postscript/pdfs/
PLRM.pdf).

FWIW...
Rick Brownrigg