[cairo] Spot colors (and CMYK)

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 14:59:07 PST 2010

Any name should help in determining what gamma curve is applied to the
values outside the 0-1 range.

We certainly want to match the Microsoft scRGB spec, which continues the
sRGB function for values greater than one, and uses -f(-x) for values
less than 1 (where f is the positive function). There are other
possibilities such as continuing the linear sRGB line for negative
values, and using a straight tangent line for values greater than 1,
these should be rejected as they have no major advantages and will not
match scRGB which may become popular.

Therefore using "scRGB" as the name may give a hint as to what is being
done. Unfortunatly scRGB also defines an offset and scaling value so
that the approximate -.5 to 7.5 range can be stored in an integer, which
we do NOT want. scRGB also defines a linear as well as gamma mapping. I
would think it would be obvious we are not doing any of these

My favorite is to just call this "sRGB". Nobody seems to complain that
the values are in fact 1/255 the values often used to describe an "sRGB"
image, because the fact that the parameters are double makes the
obvious. In the same way I think the double parameters make the
unclamped nature obvious. A quick note on how to linearlize the range is
all that is needed.

Another alternative is "unclamped sRGB" or "floating point sRGB", or
"floating point scRGB".

Any name like "CairoRGB" would imply the primaries are different than
sRGB and therefore I do not think should be used.