[cairo] Spot colors (and CMYK)

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Feb 12 21:25:03 PST 2010

Agreed. It should preserve color management metadata, and where appropriate, insert such metadata so that downline color management transforms can be enabled. It's important to move to workflows where we support explicitly tagged content workflow, rather than assuming the source color space for content.

On Feb 12, 2010, at 2:47 PM, Carl Worth wrote:

> I'm reading all of this thread late and after-the-fact, (which I think
> is beneficial for me---I'm not expert enough to jump into any of the
> debates, but distilling consensus from the result is quite useful for
> me).
>
> But I really do appreciate the contribution of so many people with
> obvious expertise. Thanks!
>
> Here's one quick item I wanted to comment on:
>
> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 20:19:06 -0500, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
>> If Cairo is responsible for/capable of interpreting PDF, then the
>> color management functionality belongs in Cairo.
>
> Cairo does not interpret PDF at all.
>
> There does exist code on top of cairo (such as the poppler library) that
> does interpret PDF. And we do want to ensure that cairo provides
> everything that such code needs.
>
> The above point seems to be that the entity interpreting PDF must
> necessarily have color-management functionality. Since cairo does not
> interpret PDF, this specific argument does not indicate that cairo needs
> color-management functionality.
>
> -Carl

Chris Murphy
Color Remedies (TM)