[cairo] Spot colors (and CMYK)

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Mon Feb 15 23:19:43 PST 2010

On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 06:42 +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> End to end colour management has a price. If well designed it can be
> supported. The cost rises, when major components are colour management
> unaware. Cairo comes with convenient features but currently completely
> excluding colour management without a adequate chance to circumvent that
> situation. Its like the toy API for fonts. Nothing serious.

By analogy, we have Pango as the intimately-tuned and
tightly-coupled-to-Cairo text rendering library which we all use. Adrian
has suggested he wants the mooted PDF drawing API to live in a similar
library. Can't wait.

Are you also suggesting that we need to move the colour managment stuff
into such a dedicated companion library? Is that the solution?

[That seems at odds with the "tight drawing API, powerful backends"
notion, but I'm all in favour of Cairo getting whatever it needs so that
things are in general a) easier and b) more likely to be correct out of
the box for applications developers]

AfC
Sydney

--