[cairo] Spot colors (and CMYK)

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Feb 16 20:23:28 PST 2010

On Feb 15, 2010, at 10:07 AM, ecir hana wrote:

> I believe Bill Spitzak was specifically talking about unclamped sRGB
> (IIRC, Microsoft calls it scRGB).
> --

Such a space cannot presently be embedded in PDF, PNG, TIFF, etc. as an ICC profile. And when it is possible will require > v4.2 ICC profiles instead of the vastly more common v2.x profiles. And, for example, PDF 1.4 and older only supports v2 profiles. PDF 1.5 supports v4 (specifically 4.0.0) profiles. So I'm kinda curious how we get wider gamut color, and color spaces, embedded into file formats that don't or can't support scRGB, with a dependency only on three choices: none, sRGB, scRGB. Seems like a problem.

Chris Murphy
Color Remedies (TM)
New York, NY