[cairo] Spot colors (and CMYK)

ecir hana ecir.hana at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 12:55:42 PST 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 9:31 PM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:

> I would think of working space and blending space as synonym. It is changed
> only if the blending/editing/working space is different from that specified
> in the CMS or say sRGB. So it can be specified but might not be specified
> and all works nevertheless.

Ok, so but why do I need to allocate each new color? Just set the
working space and call:

cairo_set_source_native_channels(cairo_t *cr, double *native_channels);

or even better:

cairo_set_source_native_channels(cairo_t *cr, ...);

No?

> Cairo definately not alone. lcms or ColorSync or WCS, each qualifies.

I personally think, *if* there has to be CMS then lcms is the only
option because, contrary to what others have said above, it seems to
me rather difficult to get CMS working across platforms.. But I might
be wrong....

But still, what exactly do you propose? How would the relationship to
lcms look like? How to maintain a fork of it especially for Cairo?
What about releases? Because that's the problem of every Linux distro,
which, if not CMS itself, is completely out of Cairo's scope, I would
say.

> "display" would be a colour conversion?

Yes.

> Then at least the backend should know how to convert.

But it could be application responsibility, not beckend's.