[cairo] Spot colors (and CMYK)

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Feb 18 08:45:39 PST 2010

Am 18.02.10, 17:21 +0100 schrieb ecir hana:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 6:51 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> I will return to your reply latter but I have two quick questions:
>
> - What would happen if I don't provide a hook to Cairo? What will

That would mean using the color toy API and no direct colour management.

> happen if I wan to draw CMYK on RGB surface and I wont provide a hook?

It would not work. Your application has to link to the hook lib and its
CMS.

> Or more common, I have Pantone duotone and want to look at it? I guess
> there should be some really basic, toy, hook by default, no? But that
> would be the start of Cairo's own CMS, no?

Thats up to cairo maintainers. Once a hook API is decided for, I guess
they prefere less dependencies. Mosularity is sometimes really nice.

> - Do you know what a minimal CMS needs? 8-bit LUT to connect my space
> to LAB? (Or as I mentioned elsewhere perhaps 16-bit)?

A CMM like lcms. lcms is already very small.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management