[cairo] Recent commit of pthread support in configure.ac src/cairo-image-surface.c src/cairoint.h src/cairo-png.c src/cairo-surface.c

Benjamin Otte otte at redhat.com
Fri Feb 19 10:43:20 PST 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 10:24 -0800, Carl Worth wrote:
> What was the actual problem you were having that motivated this patch?

The problem was that there were undefined symbols for apps that did not
link against libpthread. I think those related to the recursive mutex
functions - like pthread_mutex_setattr().

Then of course there's the problems I've run into when dlopen()ing libs
linking against libpthread. (See the recent dicussion about libgobject
linking against pthread.)
Then there's Søren wanting to make pixman use threads in the mid-term
future anyway.
Then there's the problem that pthread-stubs is not some well-supported
library but just a hack, so bugs are to be expected.
And last but not least I didnt know about any benefit from not linking
against libpthread unconditionally.

All of that made me remove pthread-stubs from configure.ac.

Benjamin