[cairo] Spot colors (and CMYK)

ecir hana ecir.hana at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 17:31:04 PST 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 1:48 AM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2010, at 2:04 PM, ecir hana wrote:
>
>> LAB fallback = tagged CMYK fallback, that's what I said.
>
> Not the same thing, at all.

Why not? Because of smaller gamut? I thought a profile could map the
highest alternative CMYK values to your LAB values.

> PDF/X-1a has limitations - when I referenced it, I'm referring to it as a broad concept. One area where it fails is that spot colors can be defined with CMYK alternates, which is absurd and useless. If it were up to me, it would be mandatory to tag them with an XYZ or LAB value.

What's useless about having a spot alternative defined in CMYK? I
thought it's great - if the spot is unavailable you could still easily
print it. It also helps with blending (as in multiply).