[cairo] [RFC] Color space API (partial proposal)

Jon Cruz jon at joncruz.org
Mon Feb 22 20:55:46 PST 2010

On Feb 22, 2010, at 5:59 PM, ecir hana wrote:

> That's said, so far we are only talking about the definition of a
> substitute in alternative space. But much more important is the main
> purpose of spot colors (and DeviceN) - that is to *name* a color, to
> attach "const char *" to a color. I think, this is much more crucial
> for the "Color space API", something which is currently missing in
> your proposal.

This, I think, is a key point.

However I'm not sure if "const char*" is really what is best. Such a declaration in C is really ambiguous and can represent "random byte data of a separately specified length" in addition to "a string".

Getting both CMYK and spot colors preserved through operations and successfully out to a Cairo-generated PDF is the goal I'd like to see targted. And as Ecir mentioned, the current proposal seems to completely miss supporting that.