[cairo] [RFC] Color space API (partial proposal)

Jon Cruz jon at joncruz.org
Tue Feb 23 07:39:41 PST 2010

On Feb 22, 2010, at 10:21 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> Jon Cruz <jon at joncruz.org> wrote:
>> However I'm not sure if "const char*" is really what is best. Such a
>> declaration in C is really ambiguous and can represent "random byte
>> data of a separately specified length" in addition to "a string".
>
> As long as there is no separate length parameter, everyone will
> understand a const char* to be a NUL-terminated string.  It should,
> however, be documented to be UTF-8.

Not necessarily. Remember that the C paradigm is char* == "byte array". The *name* of the parameter and the in-line documentation can really help.

> Please do not introduce unnecessary typedefs.

That's not really what I was thinking. More that in looking over the existing API there are a few places that take something more than a raw pointer. IIRC, a paint might be an appropriate place/type.