[cairo] [RFC] Color space API (partial proposal)

Jon Cruz jon at joncruz.org
Wed Feb 24 20:15:01 PST 2010

On Feb 24, 2010, at 3:47 PM, Bill Spitzak wrote:

> My impression was that this was not a "bare pointer" but in fact a string name that was expected to be printed unchanged into the pdf file. Therefore I think const char* is the correct type of argument.

No, no.

By "bare pointer" I'm referring to a pointer that is by itself: one that is not part of any other structure. I'm not using "bare pointer" as a synonym for a void or untyped pointer. Also many other things might be done with that name in addition to having it go out to the final PDF. And... such a name might be meaningful when attached to some other structure.

Of course, if one were using it in a call to reference a color that was already defined with that name, then passing in just the name that will be used for lookup would be fine.