[cairo] floating point grey scale source/surface

Martijn Sanderse martijnsanderse at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 07:42:03 PST 2010

Hi,

I'm interested in adapting Cairo so that I can draw to a
floating-point grey-scale image surface. When the drawing is finished
I would like to save the resulting image to e.g. TIFF.

I browsed the code a little bit and my guess for doing this is to
study how filling paths is done for an image surface of type
IMAGE_FORMAT_A8. Then see how I can copy this behaviour for an image
type of e.g. IMAGE_FORMAT_AFP, or something.

After browsing the code I felt a little overwhelmed, what would be a
good starting point for me?

Is rendering to a floating point surface an easy thing to do implement
in Cairo? I mean, would the current architecture enable such a thing
without too much hassle, or will I be doing open heart surgery? This
question may be too vague, I know, my major concern is the amount of
time I would spend on adding this feature.

Kind regards,
Martijn Sanderse