[cairo] 1.10 release schedule

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Tue Jan 12 03:54:04 PST 2010

I should also mention the APIs that I still have not got around to
fleshing out sufficiently for discussion:

  cairo_surface_map_to_image(), cairo_surface_unmap()

    Return an image surface that can be rendered to or manipulated
    directly for efficient upload to an existing surface - so far my use
    case has been for manual fallbacks, such as blurring. Similarly,

  cairo_surface_create_similar_image()

    to create a new image surface that is compatible with the target.
    [Think SHM on Unix and a DC/Bitmap on Win32.]

Those two are highly desirable and give tremendous performance boosts for
uploading images, and along that vein we have:

  cairo_mime_surface_t

which sadly stalled due to simple neglect on my part, but that was
dependent upon defining a ->create_similar_image(). This is probably
something to readdress after thinking through some of the implications
from the VideoHackfest.

Looking elsewhere for areas that are currently causing problems:

  cairo_set_opacity(), cairo_pattern_set_opacity()

    These are more dubious ones that I haven't been able to fully define
    yet. The intention is to be able to efficiently support similar API in
    WebKit which allows modification of a surface's opacity [currently
    WebKit-cairo will render the source (including gradients!) to a new
    surface with an alpha mask, ugly and so very wrong!]. The inspiration
    for this is obviously taken from SVG [and OpenVG], I wonder if there
    is a similar PDF feature?

And I'd be remiss if I forgot again to mention the outstanding bugs and
the critical review of new API required. [I still haven't incorporated
the last suggestions. Gah.]
-ickle