[cairo] 1.10 release schedule

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Jan 13 18:33:31 PST 2010

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 05:30:20 +0000, Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk> wrote:
> > If you can be forced to do that, I'd really love to see you just do it since I
> > think you're a great release manager (even if your reverts have left some hard
> > feelings in me ;) ).  Failing that, I'd suggest Benjamin or Joonas (in that
> > order) do it.
>
> Agreed, I'm much too attached to my code to make an objective judgement
> on what should go into the release. I have so much that I want to get into
> a new stable release, and still too many ideas for investigation.

OK. That's agreed then.

> > It also is kind of a sign of maturity.  I think our biggest failure this cycle
> > was NOT not getting 1.10 out "on time".  It was not getting a next 1.8.x
> > release out.
>
> Again, my fault. I've 6 patches in the 1.8 branch and had intended to do a
> release months ago.

That much is easy to fix. I'll followup in a separate mail with my plan.

> What would seem a sensible step would be to only have the release manager
> make commits to master at this point.

I'm not going to impose that on anybody that doesn't want it.

But I will be happy to be a gatekeeper for any changes for people that
do.

So, Chris, please feel free to nominate things for me to merge into
master.

Everyone else---the master branch isn't "closed", but it's definitely in
a state of being stabilized for release. So, only push changes where you
are very confident that the changes only increase stability. If you're
unsure, ask on the list.

And I'll reserve the right to revert anything necessary.

Sound good to everyone?