[cairo] How to load a BMP/JPG/TGA to a Surface?

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 13:29:51 PDT 2010

Actually Cairo's image format is ARGB32, meaning each 32-bit word has
the bits arranged so that A is the high-order 8 bits and B in the lowest
8 bits. On a little-endian machine the bytes are then arranged in BGRA
order, but on a big-endian machine they would be ARGB.

I think DevIL will need to be changed. ARGB32 is used extensively and is
often the only or most-accelerated option on graphics hardware, due to
it being the format used by the Windows API.