[cairo] configure: error: pkg-config >= required but not found

Iain Barnett iainspeed at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 21:50:14 PDT 2010

I'm trying to install cairo 1.8.10 on an OSX10.6 system. I have pkg-config installed, and set PKG_CONFIG to it's location in /usr/local/bin.

I'm getting the following error from running configure:

configure: error: pkg-config >=  required but not found (http://pkgconfig.freedesktop.org/)

But if I check, pkg-config returns a version:
$ pkg-config --version
0.25

/usr/local/bin is in PATH too. Would anyone be able to tell me how the install tries to find pkg-config, or if there's another way I can specify where it is?

Regards
Iain