[cairo] pango_cairo_layout_path and hinting

Lutz Gehlen lrg_ml at gmx.net
Fri Jun 11 00:09:28 PDT 2010

Hello everybody,
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask my question or if I
should rather send it to the Pango list. But since the rasterization
of glyphs is done by Cairo I hope that I am right to post here.

I am using pangocairo to rasterize text. Sometimes, but not always,
I want the text not only filled but also the outline to be
stroked. I can do this using pango_cairo_layout_path and the
cairo_fill_preserve and cairo_stroke.

However, I was wondering how the hinting for glyph rasterization is
affected by this process. After converting the text to a path, is
hinting performed at all? The question boils down to: Does

pango_cairo_layout_path(cr, layout);
cairo_fill(cr);

give the same result as

pango_cairo_show_layout(cr, layout);?