[cairo] pango_cairo_layout_path and hinting

Arjen Nienhuis a.g.nienhuis at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 13:51:50 PDT 2010

Hi,

In theory pango_cairo_show_layout() does all sorts of speed
optimizations that ...path()+cairo_fill() does not. I believe
...show_layout() can do sub-pixel (LCD) stuff where cairo_fill can
not. I think all glyphs are (sub?)pixel-aligned with ...show_layout().

In practice ...show_layout() is faster while ...fill() looks 'nicer'.
'nice' does not mean more readable. Especially with a very small font
size (thumbnails) the line spacing is 'wrong' with ...show_layout().
3.5 pixel line spacing gets rounded to 3 or 4 every other line.

I'm not sure if it's possible to change the font settings to make
show_layout() behave like ...fill().

Met vriendelijke groet,
Arjen Nienhuis