[cairo] cairo on windows (with perl)

Jeff Hallock Jhallock at WBandA.com
Mon Jun 21 09:35:38 PDT 2010

>This is what's happening after downloading Cairo-1.061
>
> perl Makefile.PL
>   Package cairo was not found in the pkg-config search path.
>   Perhaps you should add the directory containing `cairo.pc'
>   to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
>   No package 'cairo' found
>    at Makefile.PL line 58
>   *** can not find package cairo >= 1.0.0
>   *** check that it is properly installed and available in PKG_CONFIG_PATH
>    at Makefile.PL line 58

> cairo.pc is nowhere to be found on my hard drive so that's where I'm stuck.

> I can set PKG_CONFIG_PATH in my windows environment, but if the file doesn't exist I have nothing to set it to.

You are going to have to do some editing to your makefile - pkconfig is a linux only utility. I suggest you checkout the Gtk2-Perl mailing list - http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gtk-perl-list - they can probably point you in the right direction (even though your question is related specifically to Cairo - I still think these guys can and will help you out)

Personally, on windows - I use camelbox, which is a perl distribution that includes Glib/Gtk2/Cairo/Pango libraries all compiled and their perl module counterparts already installed. http://code.google.com/p/camelbox/
This may prove to be a good solution if you aren't committed to strawberry perl. The maintainer elspicyjack is also pretty helpful - and may be able to give you some tips to get the modules installing under strawberry.