[cairo] Rendering Intent names

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Mar 17 12:21:07 PDT 2010

On Mar 16, 2010, at 11:26 PM, M Joonas Pihlaja wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010, Chris Murphy wrote:
>
>> So you'd need something that could guess at what in an image would
>> be an important area of fine detail - the highly saturated part is
>> cake to figure out in comparison. Detail is slightly harder.
>> Important detail is a lot harder. But it doesn't have to be perfect.
>
> This is, with all due respect, totally insane.  I think cairo should
> just use the standard rendering intent names and let UI designers deal
> with it.

I wasn't suggesting it be incorporated into Cairo. The proper location for this is with a CMS, and preferably something the ICC should define as an option. Then it would be up to applications to optionally tap into this auto selection feature.

I think expecting most users to make informed decisions about rendering intents is unrealistic, and inadequately resolved by defaulting to one of the existing rendering intents.

Chris Murphy
Color Remedies (TM)
New York, NY