[cairo] is self-copy supposed to work?

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Wed May 5 07:10:57 PDT 2010

On Wednesday 05 May 2010, Soeren Sandmann wrote:
> Siarhei Siamashka <siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com> writes:
> > But the point is that fast scrolling (quite a common operation, not
> > something totally fancy) requires self-copy support. So IMHO it makes
> > sense to have this functionality somehow implemented in pixman and
> > available in some usable way to application developers (Firefox et al.)
>
> Agreed, and let me repeat that it would make sense to move the X
> server core primitives, including XCopyArea() and XFillRectangles()
> into pixman.
>
> There is the beginning of a branch to move FbBlt(), which is the meat
> of XCopyArea(), here:
>
>     http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~sandmann/pixman/log/?h=blt
>
> However, this won't make 0.20.0 unless someone makes it happen.

The discouraging thing is that only a small subset of this functionality is
generally needed, and the rest has to be implemented as a payload.

And it is quite X server specific, with the things like 'reverse'
and 'upsidedown' self-copy related flags required to be calculated by the
caller. I don't know how convenient it is going to be for use in cairo for
example.

--
Best regards,
Siarhei Siamashka