[cairo] Font size problem on Mac OS X

Peter Clifton pcjc2 at cam.ac.uk
Tue May 11 08:17:46 PDT 2010

Hi guys,

I've got Deja-vu asking this question, but I'm wondering if anyone can
recall the likely problem given a description.

One of our users on Mac OS X is getting text rendering in our schematic
CAD package (which uses Cairo + Pango for text rendering).

Other users report that our software + cairo + pango built with Fink
work correctly, however the user seeing the problem has built all the
bits and pieces themselves manually. (This isn't the first time I've
heard of this problem from an OS X user either).

They have a working solution from a Linux machine and remote X, but when
building for OS X, fonts are huge - and don't scale correctly with the
page.

There was a similar _appearing_ bug we encountered on Win32, which it
turned out related to a LC_NUMERIC issue (passing "," in the size passed
in a font-description), however this bug is fixed in the version our
user is building, and we're now explicitly using API calls to set the
font size.

So.. a vague bug report, and I've not got a lot of hope for solution -
but I thought it might just ring a bell with someone.

Does anyone have any suggestions for correct / incorrect settings
recipes when building GTK / Cairo / Pango on OS X?

Best wishes,
Yours hopefully!

--
Peter Clifton