[cairo] problem building cairo 1.10.0 for x86_64 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Kevin Layer layer at franz.com
Fri Nov 5 14:16:48 PDT 2010

Andrea Canciani <ranma42 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I'm trying to build a universal binary with macports.  Clearly it
>> > doesn't work, and the macports guys say it's a cairo problem.  I
>> > really need a universal binary, and know of no other way to (easily)
>> > build it.
>>
>> Can you check if building the i386 and the x86_64 versions separately
>> and later merging them works?
>> A good reference on how to merge the two builds is here:
>>
>> http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html#TNTAG3

And the response:

  Subject: Re: can't build cairo
  From: Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
  Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 16:08:41 -0500
  Cc: macports-users at lists.macosforge.org
  To: Kevin Layer <layer at franz.com>

  The cairo port in MacPorts already does build for each architecture
  separately and then glue them together using lipo. In MacPorts this
  feature is called the muniversal portgroup. Based on what I've seen,
  cairo just does not appear to like building for x86_64 on
  Leopard. (I don't have an Intel Leopard test machine handy to verify
  that myself.)