[cairo] Premultiplied transparency causes streaks in images

Paril paril at alteredsoftworks.com
Fri Nov 12 02:32:49 PST 2010

The fixed code you provided outputs a single dot (you forgot the Paint()
call, but I extrapolated), which appears fine when you look at it at face
value, but again, if you re-add that loop I had in the first place you see
the transparency around the corners of the circle creating black streaks.
This is the problem.

If you weren't able to see the output, here it is:
http://alteredsoftworks.com/cairo/output.png

Here's a slightly modified version with no y modification. This shows you
the clear black outline when the brush is continuously drawn in one spot:
http://alteredsoftworks.com/cairo/output_red.png

I don't entirely understand your explanation; the only time you can really
tell that it's happening is when you are drawing a bunch of lines around,
hence why in the example I drew a capsule shape.

...which replaces the PaintWithAlpha operation with a
> multiplication of the source alpha

Actually, PaintWithAlpha was my second attempt at fixing the original code,
which DID multiply the source alpha. I thought maybe the problem was because
I was not using PaintWithAlpha, which appeared not to be the case.

-P