[cairo] Cairo roadmap

Andrea Canciani ranma42 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 07:20:44 PDT 2010

I think this might be a good time to decide what features and
improvements we want (and are working on) for 1.12.

The roadmap page might be a good starting point, but we should
probably update it with a few things from the TODO some threads
in the mailing list.

For some features we already have (partial) implementations
which we might want to merge soon to test and improve them as
needed (I'm thinking about stroke-to-path and gradient meshes,
but probably there are many more).

It would also be nice to know about the status of the features
currently in the roadmap for 1.12. Has their API been specified?
Is there some implementation already?

Anyway, before making big changes to master,  I'd like to spend
some time working to improve the testsuite.
In particular I would love if we could explicitly say what environment
is supposed to pass the tests (fontconfig/freetype version, fonts).
If possible, I would add the fonts in the git repo and the tarballs,
but I'm not sure if the license allows this.

We should also make it possible to test all the font backends
(without requiring a full reconfiguration&rebuild) and also have
per-font-backend ref images.

I have pushed a branch in which I replaced the make-generated
index.html test result summary with a static index.html whose
table is generated using JavaScript. It is slower to load (because
it parses all the test log files), but it provides a few enhancements
(described in the commit message).
I'd like to receive some feedback (does it work on your browser?
is it too slow? etc).
I think that it would be a good idea to have it before having
per-font-backend testing (which would increase the number of
cells in the test table) because it makes the table easier to use
(by selecting the rows/columns you're interested into).
For those who want to give it a try:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ranma42/cairo/log/?h=wip/dyntest

Andrea