[cairo] 64 bit fixed point in Cairo?

Nicholas Allen nick.allen at onlinehome.de
Thu Apr 14 03:14:59 PDT 2011

Thank you for your reply.

I've been debugging cairo a bit and noticed that cairo_rectangle calls
cairo_rel_line_to and that this method needs to convert the double to a
cairo_fixed_t. At this point the 24 bits allocated for the integer part
overflows and this is where all the problems begin.

I can't see anyway to change our application to handle this except to do
the clipping in our application instead of relying on cairo to do it.
When we are zoomed in we will have rectangles and rectangle strokes that
are much larger than 16,000,000 pixels wide as well as other filled and
stroked primitives. The only way we can send this to cairo is as large
numbers - no matter where we translate to we can't avoid the fact that
the primitive shape is extremely wide. We would need to implement our
own clipping for every primitive which would be as difficult as writing
a new graphics library - definitely not something we want to do!

The only solution for us that I can see is if cairo could use 64 bit
fixed point instead of 32 bit. I'm going to take a look at hacking this
in cairo and seeing how far I get. I take it no one else has yet
attempted this? If this turns out to be a lot of work we will have to
consider using another graphics library.

Cheers,

Nicholas Allen