[cairo] Clickable URLs using pango/cairo in Python?

Adam Stein adam at ppdev.mc.xerox.com
Wed Aug 10 14:30:05 PDT 2011

I'm trying to modify a program named Gramps (a python genealogical
program).  It uses pango/cairo to create a report in PDF.  Contained
within text to be written into the report are URLs (http://...).

I would like to make the URLs clickable, so that if I view the PDF in
something like okular, I can click on the link.  Adobe's PDF viewer
automatically makes URLs clickable, but programs like okular do not.

pango.version_string() returns '1.28.0' and cairo.version returns
'1.8.10'.  I'm running on a Fedora 13 system with Python 2.7.

Asking the Python Pango list got me this answer:

I'm not sure but it looks like cairo does not yet support embedded
hyperlinks:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2009-February/016619.html
It is however listed on cairo's roadmap for 1.12:
http://www.cairographics.org/roadmap/

Adrian Johnson started something in 2009 according to the first link.
Given that this is now 2011, is there anything in cairo today to allow
me to make clickable links or do I need to wait for v1.12 (as per the
roadmap)?

Any tips, pointers, examples, or a message stating that it definitely
can't be done yet would be most appreciated.

Adam Stein @ HCL America Inc.        Email: adam at ppdev.mc.xerox.com

Disclaimer: Any/All views expressed
here have been proven to be my own.  [http://www.csh.rit.edu/~adam/]