[cairo] Using Cairo in a closed-source commercial app

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Sat Aug 13 06:20:36 PDT 2011

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 13:24:29 +0100, Johnny <joaogsf at sapo.pt> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Sorry if this is clearly stated somewhere else, but I feel safer in
> asking it here.
>
> Can I use the Cairo lib in a closed-source commercial app?

Yes, Cairo is dual-licenced under both the LGPL and MPL - you are free
to use Cairo under the terms most acceptable to you. Basically you are
free to use Cairo as you like, and are only obligated to share the
changes you make to Cairo, inform your users that you have used Cairo
and how they may obtain the source (including any of your changes) and
not to impose further restrictions upon the Cairo source code.

The finer details of how are covered in the few thousands words of
COPYING-MPL-1.1 and COPYING-LPGL-2.1
-Chris