[cairo] cairo-trace core dump

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Fri Jan 21 05:05:43 PST 2011

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 12:22:06 -0500, Jennifer Adams <jma at cola.iges.org> wrote:
> A recent thread on 'performance tuning questions' is relevant for me
> as well. I have noticed significant performance difference between the
> cairo installation of macports (on OSX 10.5.8) and and a build I did
> myself, following the guidelines outlined at http://cairographics.org/end_to_end_build_for_mac_os_x
>
> I cannot get cairo-trace to work. The error message I'm getting is:
>
>  > cairo-trace hello
> Assertion failed: (cairo_pdf_surface_create_real != NULL), function
> cairo_pdf_surface_create, file trace.c, line 4310.
> /opt/local/bin/cairo-trace: line 136: 80818 Abort trap
> (core dumped) CAIRO_TRACE_OUTDIR=`pwd` "$@"

It is complaining that it can't find the real symbol for
'cairo_pdf_surface_create' in its library path. Which suggests that you
need to set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH before running cairo-trace. (I presume it
is the same env.var on OS/X as it is on Linux.) E.g.

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib

Hope this helps and if you do manage to grab a trace of your application,
please do consider submitting it to cairo-traces.
-Chris