[cairo] Issues with Store-Bought v. Home-Grown builds of Cairo

Hezekiah M. Carty hcarty at atmos.umd.edu
Sun Jan 30 08:51:24 PST 2011

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 9:11 AM, Jennifer Adams <jma at cola.iges.org> wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2011, at 4:50 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:
>
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 12:31:50 -0500, Jennifer Adams <jma at cola.iges.org>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks to earlier answers I got regarding getting cairo-trace to work,
>
> I created a huge trace file, but I'm not sure how to interpret it. It
>
> contained ~77,000 fills and ~10,000 strokes. I reran cairo-trace with
>
> the --profile option and posted it at ftp://iges.org/pub/jma/gs.89039.lzma
>
>  . The output from running cairo-perf-trace on my trace file is given
>
> below. I have no idea whether the trace info is helpful.
>
> The trace looks quite exciting. I never expected that so many people
> depended upon non-AA rendering; it is an area ripe for improvement within
> Cairo.
>
> I have to use non-AA rendering for the polygons because otherwise they can
> have very faint lines around the borders.

PLplot (http://plplot.sf.net/) ran in to a similar issue with outlines
around adjacent polygons when it added Cairo rendering support.  The
solution, provided by users in the #cairo IRC channel if I recall
correctly, was to add an extra outline stroke around the each filled
polygon.  This fixes the lines around polygons - most importantly for
PDF/PostScript viewers with AA enabled - but it can, unfortunately,
slow rendering down.

Hope this helps,

Hez