[cairo] [Pixman] Image downscaling

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 12:16:27 PDT 2011

I want to describe another scheme I have been thinking of, and posted
here before.

This is not going to produce ideal downscale filtering, however I think
it may be quite close enough. It is definitely better than bilinear
filtering of a mipmap. It is difficult to say if it is better than
trilinear filtering of a mipmap. A huge advantage is all the work on the
existing bilinear filtering in pixman is reused. Also it looks far
faster than any other scheme I can think of.

It shares with the mipmap the need to create the intermediate filtered
image. Changes to the source image must invalidate this image so it is
recreated next time a scaled drawing is requested. An advantage over the
mipmap is that it is much quicker to create this intermediate image as
only a single 1/integer scale operation is done. Another advantage is
that all the existing bilinear filtering code in pixman can be reused as
the final step. Another advantage is that non-square scales are better
supported. A disadvantage is that the intermediate image must be
recreated if the scale changes more than a small amount.

The technique is this:

1. Take the inverse transform matrix and decompose it into two
matricies. N and M are positive integers, and the determinant^2 of the
other matrix (AD-BC)^2 is as close to 1 as possible.

		[ A B 0 ]   [ N 0 0 ]
	T =	[ C D 0 ] * [ 0 M 0 ]
		[ X Y 1 ]   [ 0 0 1 ]

2. if N and M are both 1 then use the normal bilinear filtering from the
original image.

3. Otherwise we need to make an intermediate image that is scaled in x
by 1/N and in y by 1/M. First check if you already have it. If not you
must create it and keep it with the source image. Creation is very fast
because each output pixel is the average of a NxM rectangle of input
pixels (assuming a box filter). With appropriate locking, etc, you can
also throw away old intermediate images.

4. Take the intermediate image and the left-hand matrix and use them in
the normal bilinear filtering algorithim.

5. If the image is changed by drawing operations on it, dispose of or
invalidate all the intermediate images (same as what needs to be done
for a mipmap).