[cairo] Static libraries not built correctly with llvm-gcc

Andrea Canciani ranma42 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 12:15:35 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Ryan Schmidt
<cairo-2011c at ryandesign.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The MacPorts project has received the following report that the cairo static libraries do not build correctly when the compiler is llvm-gcc (which is currently the default in MacPorts 2.0.0 beta 1 when running on the forthcoming Mac OS X 10.7 Lion):
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/29842
>
> There is a patch attached to the ticket which alleges to fix the problem by removing the -flto flag but I don't know what other implications this might have. Does this look like a reasonable solution to the problem, or do you have any other suggestions?

The patch attached to that ticket modifies configure, which is a file
created by autotools.
The patch should fix build/configure.ac.warnings, instead

A better patch would detect at configure-time if -flto works correcty,
so that it gets enabled/disabled appropriately.

FWIW, the current build system seems to work fine on MacOS X 10.6 using
i686-apple-darwin10-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc.
build 5658) (LLVM build 2333.4)

Andrea