[cairo] cairo Win32 backend and acceleration

Thorgrimsson, Chris Chris.Thorgrimsson at lamresearch.com
Wed Mar 16 10:25:50 PDT 2011

Hi,

I am trying to figure out once and for all if the Win32 backend for cairo gains any form of hardware acceleration since it sits atop GDI(does it?). This all stems from a web article that I came across that would seem to indicate that it does use the GPU (if available) in some cases. I guess I figured that without using some form of GL backend, I wasn't getting any GPU benefit and it was all CPU based.

Here are the articles I am referring to. Both articles are long but I found them pretty informative.

Part 1 of the article http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/2d-windows-gdi,2539.html
Part 2 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/2d-windows-gdi,2547.html

I guess I would classify myself as a cairo "user" and not a "developer". I haven't dug into its internals, so I am unfamiliar with how it interfaces with GDI, if at all. Any feedback that can shed light on my acceleration question is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris