[cairo] How to enable cairo in Windows?

Sverre Stausland johnsen at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 1 13:14:11 PDT 2011

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 2:54 AM, Maarten Bosmans <mkbosmans at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/10/31 Sverre Stausland <johnsen at fas.harvard.edu>:
>> In the end, my question is simply this: What do I need to do to enable
>> cairo in Windows?
>
> So witch of the packages did you use in the end?

I don't quite understand. As mentioned in my post, I downloaded the
run-time zip files for the packages 'zlib', 'cairo', 'libpng',
'Freetype', 'Fontconfig', and 'expat' from
http://www.gtk.org/download/win32.php and put all their .dll files in
my R-2.13.2\bin\i386 directory.

> Remember that Cairo can be compiled either with or without fontconfig
> support. So if you don't compile it yourself, make sure the downloaded
> binaries have been compiled with the backends you need.

I have no idea what this means. Since I'm an end-user, not a
developer, I am not compiling anything. The binaries I have downloaded
from http://www.gtk.org/download/win32.php are the only ones I know
about, and the only ones mentioned by other cairo users.

> I made a zipfile for you with Cairo with fontconfig and freetype
> enabled.

Great, thanks! What do I do with this, though? :)

Sverre