[cairo] Color space API

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 12:41:02 PDT 2012

Andrea Canciani wrote:

>> I don't currently have a proposal for this since looking at the ICC
>> specification I could not see how to extract this linear space from an
>> ICC profile.
>
> In general it will not be possible to extract such a color space,
> because ICC profiles can define a color mapping which is almost
> completely arbitrary.

At the middle point where the data is mulitiplied by a square matrix of
the same size as the number of channels, the data can be assumed to be
linear.

In any case I recommend that "linear compositing" be done in a fixed
method that only works "correctly" for sRGB (it will also work for any
other primaries as long as the gamma is the same curve as sRGB, and will
be "better" than direct compositing for any colorspace where the gamma
is greater than 1.5).