[cairo] Building Cairo on Windows

Mohit Sindhwani ml3p at onghu.com
Sun Aug 19 05:05:15 PDT 2012

Hi All,

I have spent quite a bit of time trying to get Cairo to build on Windows
under MinGW (on Windows).  There are a number of different guides in
different places, and I may have ended up in a corner basically because
of following different guides for different steps.  My intent is to
build the Cairo DLL, followed by Pango and then, maybe, on to Clutter.

I've installed MinGW and MSYS and followed through a few guides, most
notably, the guide for building Spatialite:
http://www.gaia-gis.it/spatialite-2.4.0-4/mingw_how_to.html

This gave a good introduction to making sure that some of the
dependencies for building under MinGW were met.  In the libCairo
section, it says that if we do "make" and "make install-strip", it
should install both the static library and the DLL as well.

I can't seem to find the DLL anywhere (maybe, I'm looking in the wrong
places).
* the PixMan DLL is in /usr/local/bin
* there is a libcairo.a in /usr/local/lib - but I can't find the DLL any
place

Also, where would the .def files be created for linking against the DLL?

I do understand that life would be easier if I just took the
pre-compiled binaries from the Gtk+ project, but I want to (first) use
Cairo in an Embarcadero RAD Studio application (C++ Builder) and
building the DLL myself is also a first step towards wanting to use
Cairo in a Windows CE application (if things have improved for Win32
compatibility in the past couple of years, especially for using fonts).

Best Regards,
Mohit.
19/8/2012 | 7:56 PM.