[cairo] cairo release 1.12.4 now available

Klaus Stengel Klaus.Stengel at cs.fau.de
Fri Dec 21 05:43:34 PST 2012

Hi,

On 10.12.2012 18:05, Uli Schlachter wrote:
> On 10.12.2012 13:57, Klaus Stengel wrote:
> > The main problem seems to be the function _render_operator() in
> > cairo-xlib-render.c, which just translates any cairo operator to the
> > corresponding XRender code without any checks. This function is used in
> > various calls to XRender functions.
> [...]
>
> This analysis seems correct.

so in order to fix this properly, it would be necessary to do the
rendering in libcairo itself in case an operator ist not supported,
probably using the software implementation from libpixman?

> Let's see when someone comes around and fixes this.

It probably makes sense to file an entry in the bugtracker then; At
least I didn't find anything mentioning that problem specifically yet.

> For the mean time, I want to mention that cairo-xcb (and thus cairo-xlib-xcb,
> see --enable-xlib-xcb) does not have this problem and can be used. Yay! :-)

Well, but switching to a different backend is no general solution as
long as there is no way to override the X11 backend in existing
applications somehow. In case of my problem with the Evolution mail
client, the cairo backend is actually managed through GDK, which only
supports XLib and no XCB as far as I can tell.

But if the XCB interface is supposed to work, does it mean that the code
to emulate those operations is already present somewhere in the XCB
backend somewhere and just need to be backported to the classic X11
interface?

Regards,
Klaus