[cairo] pangocairo make error

g.esp at free.fr g.esp at free.fr
Tue Jan 31 05:02:09 PST 2012

----- Mail original -----

You have to understand a bit what you made.
If INSTALL_DIR string is empty when configure run, --prefix will be empty, and you usually don't set prefix that way.
Either you want --prefix=/ ,--prefix=/usr or you let the default prefix be used (which is usually /usr/local).

Usually distrib packager use --prefix=/usr.
When --prefix is not set, default prefix is /usr/local, so everything you compile by yourself will not replace the code installed by your distrib, but be found as earlier in the PATH.

> Configuring Cairo 1.10.2

Don't you install pixman as in the rrrdool howto?

> #./configure --prefix= --cache-file=config.cache --disable-static
> --enable-test-surfaces --enable-symbol-lookup=yes CFLAGS="-O3 -fPIC"

Same remark for --prefix
--cache-file=config.cache may not have the effect you would think.
If trying different configure option in a row, previous configure results are retrieved from config.cache, so the last settings you try with configure may not take effect.
> # make
>
> Output Error:
> ../libtool: line 1216: libtool: compile: cannot determine name of
> library object from `': command not found
maybe the effect of empty --prefix, I don't know?
> make[3]: *** [cairo-analysis-surface.lo] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/cairo-1.10.2/src'
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/cairo-1.10.2/src'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/cairo-1.10.2'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

In any case, compilation has failed, cairo is not properly installed, and you should fix that error before trying to achieve the next step.

Gilles