[cairo] Color space API

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 13:19:58 PDT 2012

In your plan, if an on-screen surface is given colorspace X where X is
not sRGB, what does this mean? I think this is what leads to a lot of
the confusion when color space is discussed.

IMHO the solution is that the numbers in that surface are put unchanged
on the screen. Thus no matter what colorspace it is set to, if there is
a 5 in the red channel of a pixel, then a 5 is put into the output
buffer sent to the screen.

The way to get color-correct output is to set the destination surface to
the colorspace that the screen (or the input to the screen driver) has.
Changing the destination colorspace never changes the appearance of that
surface on the screen.

What the colorspace of the destination does is indicate what conversion
is done to source colorspaces before compositing. The destination can be
set to Y and the source to X, and what happens is the source is run
through the X->Y conversion before compositing. However after the
numbers come out of the compositing, the setting of Y has NO effect on
what happens to those numbers. They go onto the screen or output device
unchanged.

Any other interpretation I think results in unworkable difficulties.

Correct/incorrect?

Another aspect is "linear" or "gamma corrected" compositing. In this
both the source *AND* the destination are converted from their spaces to
a "linear" space, composited, and then the result is converted back to
the destination space. The linear space is chosen so this conversion is
fast (it has the same primaries as the destination).

I believe your proposal has no possible setting that will cause this to
happen. I think this can be a different setting, independent of the
destination color space. Either it is a flag on the destination
surfaces, or it is different compositing operations (ie LINEAR_OVER
verses OVER). I don't think it is part of the colorspace, because it has
no effect on how the source is handled.